While most ritual phrases do not come into play until you get to an encounter, you can use “I don’t see it” at any time, even during setup.
- Create a family.
- Reprise a character you’ve played before or create a new one.
- Decide on the length of the game you want to play. Each round generally takes about an hour.
Name Rounds Short 2 Average 3 Long 4 Epic 5
- Separate a deck of playing cards into a needs deck, a persons deck, and a places deck.
- Each player takes a card from the persons deck to represent her character.
- If you have a card for home, lay it out on the table. If not, simply leave an empty space to represent it.
- Next each player draws a card from the places deck. As always when pulling from the places deck, you can call the name of any named place to pull that card from the deck and then shuffle the deck. Lay your card next to home or the other drawn places card, forming a row of places.
- Place one moment of awareness on each place.
- Deal one card from the persons deck, face down, above each of the places you have out.
- Draw a card from the needs deck. This represents the family’s current need. Interpret it together to decide what this means for the family right now. Each player takes a turn describing how this situation has affected her character specifically.
- Choose a player to go first and then proceed sunwise (to the left). Each player chooses where she begins by placing her character’s card in a column beneath that place’s card.